Saturday 24 March 2012

Cafe Nouveau - Huddersfield

Huddersfield was my home for four years. Since I left the following has happened: several of my favourite pubs opened their own breweries, an utterly magical brewery opened, a pub that I have drank in since it opened has gone from strength to strength on the craft beer scene and Huddersfield obtained its own secret tea room. Typical.

Cafe Nouveau is a little tea room held in the lovely home of Marie-Claire who I had the great pleasure of previously meeting at a clandestine cake club. I had planned to visit this secret supper club for awhile and when a rhubarb themed afternoon came I swiftly booked a couple of tickets.

Arriving at Cafe Nouveau we were shown into the dining room to meet the other guests and given a little cup of the nicest rhubarb drink I've had.

Then we got stuck in:

I'm not gonna say anything for awhile....


Ham, Duck and Mackerel Sandwiches
Cheese and Onion Tart
Fruit Scones with clotted cream and R+G Jam
Little apple and raspberry cakes
Macarons with rhubarb and ginger jam
Rhubarb and Custard Cake
Rhubarb Meringue Tart

Seriously, what can I say about the above that the pictures don't already? Just a true celebration of one of Yorkshire finest exports.

My Favourites:
The rhubarb punch - refreshing, sweet with a slight sourness.
Macaron's - just perfect, crisp but chewy and with rhubarb and ginger, delicious.
Rhubarb tart - crisp pastry, sour rhubarb, sweet meringue. you can't go wrong.
Sandwiches - mackerel with rhubarb is just bloody lovely.
The other guests - a couple of guests at Cafe Nouveau have to be some of the funniest people that I have met, literally story after story of absolute hilarity after we had all had eaten, this why I love the idea of supper clubs, you never know who you will have the great fortune to meet.

Roll on next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment