Monday 14 May 2012

Victoria Sponge with Blueberry Jam and Blackberries


I was a little bored last bank holiday weekend. I didn't have much to do or places to go therefore I did what I usually do when I'm bored, I bake. I made two types of biscuit, Dark Chocolate & Ginger and  Cinnamon & Date. I also made this cake.
At a recent Appetite Sheff event I won a set of preserves from Just Preserves and they have been sat in my cupboards since then, mainly because I don't eat much Jam and when I usually have toast it's smothered in beans and cheese, so I wanted to put it to good use and you don't get much better than a quality Victoria Sponge.

If you have never made one then be ashamed because its very easy. 4 ingredients (not including fillings) a little effort, half an hour ish baking and voila you got yourself a cake.

Ingredients (for two 22cm cake tins)
250g soft Butter
250g Caster Sugar
250g Flour
5 medium eggs

Filling
100g blackberries
100ml double cream
50g blueberry jam

Icing sugar to dust

Method
OK you have yourself a choice here, you can use the all in one method, in which you throw every ingredient into a bowl (not filling ingredients) and mix together either by hand or electric mixer until a smooth batter is made.

Or you can take your time and do it properly

Cream the butter and the sugar together until light and fluffy, using elbow power or an electric mixer.
Beat in the eggs one at a time.
Sift in the flour and fold in gently using a wooden spoon until all combined.

Then pour into two lined cake tins and bake in a preheated oven for about 25 minutes until golden and a skewer, when inserted, comes out clean.

Leave to cool

Filling
Whip the cream until it can hold its shape and can stay in the bowl when turned upside down, spread over one side of the cake. dot with black berries.
Spread the jam over the other side then sandwich the two together and dust with icing sugar to finish.

Enjoy


2 comments:

  1. YESSSS! Look how light and airy that is too.....totally divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE blueberries and this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete